MIM2020: International Conference on Injection Molding of Metals, Ceramics and Carbides, will be held at the Hotel Irvine, in Irvine, California, USA, from March 2–4, 2020. This global conference and tabletop exhibition highlights advances in the Metal Injection Moulding industry and is the only international MIM conference of the year.
The event will be preceded by Randall M German’s popular annual Powder Injection Molding Tutorial, which he has been leading since it was first presented in 1990. The optional course (which requires a separate registration fee) is an ideal introduction to PIM technology, offering a comprehensive foundational understanding within one day. The topics covered are:
- An introduction to PIM manufacturing, from feedstocks to moulding, debinding, sintering and finishing
- The definition of what constitutes a viable PIM component
- The selection of materials based on component expectations and required properties
- The assessment of the critical features of dimensional accuracy and material performance
- A comparison of PIM and competing technologies
- A review of the economical advantages of PIM
- A look at new applications, emerging markets, and examples of products thought impossible to manufacture to net shape until PIM
German will also open the conference sessions with his keynote address, ‘The Question: Is MIM There Yet?’ This presentation will look at some of the historical key points in MIM’s development, as well offering an assessment of the current status of the industry.
Both conference sessions will feature a range of technical presentations from the industry and academia, interspersed with the presentation of design case studies and technology process and product innovations. Reflecting the growing overlap between MIM and sinter-based metal Additive Manufacturing (AM), some presentations will cover topics common to both fields, such as how metal Binder Jetting can meet MIM standards.
A tabletop exhibition will see international MIM suppliers showcase their products and technologies. There will also be a networking reception open to all attendees of the conference, with beverages sponsored by PIM International.
The full technical programme and further information on MIM2020 are available via the MPIF website. The deadline for discounted early-bird registration is January 17, 2020.