Increasing demand for Metal Injection Moulded 3C hinges drives capacity expansion
July 22, 2016
According to the Taiwan-based Digitimes newspaper, demand is growing strongly for 3C hinges produced by Metal Injection Moulding. It was stated that despite a year on year decline in PC shipments, sales of hybrid devices that combine the functionality of a tablet with the form factor of a notebook are expected to grow by 13%. Such devices have complex multi-function hinge mechanisms that allow, for example, the removal or rotation of the screen.
It was also reported that the Metal Injection Moulded hinges that are expected to be featured on the next generation of Apple MacBooks are also driving capacity expansion amongst leading hinge manufacturers.
Taiwan’s hinge maker Shin Zu Shing (SZS) was reported to have installed an additional six new sintering furnaces in the first half of the year, with a further six to be installed in the second half of the year, making a total of 38 sintering furnaces at the company by the end of 2016.
It was also stated that Taiwan’s Jarllytec Co., Ltd. is also expanding sintering capacity to meet the growth in demand for Metal Injection Moulded hinges.
The use of Metal Injection Moulded hinges for the 3C sector is by no means new, with the hinge mechanisms for clamshell cellphones being early examples.
Discover our introduction to Metal Injection Molding: Process, Materials & Applications
In our Introduction to Metal Injection Moulding you will discover more about the process steps for metal and ceramic injection molding.
We also look at a range of materials that can be processed, basic properties and some applications for the technology.
- Introducing a dynamic global industry
- An overview of the Metal Injection Moulding process
- Powders for Metal Injection Molding
- Binders and binder removal techniques
- Feedstock for MIM
- Injection Moulding MIM parts
- Sintering in the MIM process
- Applications: Medical and Orthodontic
- Applications: The Automotive Industry
- Applications: IT, Electronics and Telecomms
- Applications: The Aerospace Industry
- Applications: Consumer Products
- Applications: Firearms and Defence